Pair of natural wood chairs with openwork orientalist decoration adorned with mother-of-pearl letters. Both chairs are iron-stamped. Good condition.
France.
Around 1880.
Gabriel-Frédéric Viardot (1830-1906) and his brother Louis-Gustave, cabinetmakers and wood sculptors, opened a shop selling art and fantasy furniture in 1835 on rue Rambuteau in Paris under the name Viardot Frères et Cie. They exhibited at the Universal Exhibition of 1855. The year 1860 marked a turning point: Gabriel-Frédéric created his own workshop at 5, rue du Grand-Chantier under the name G. Viardot, while taking over the management of the family home located on rue Rambuteau until 1872. He then worked successively at 15, rue de Chaume, at 3, rue des Archives (1878) and at 36, rue Amelot at the end of the XNUMXs. XIXe.
References:
D. Ledoux-Lebard, French Furniture of XIXth century, Paris, l'Amateur edition, 2000, pp. 614-615
P. Thiébaut, Contribution to a history of Japanese furniture: the creations of the Escalier de Cristal in Revue de l'art, 1989, n°85, pp. 76-83





















